Discounts for 3+ Users
Do you need more information about group pricing for our training courses?
ANY SIZE/ANY INDUSTRY (Businesses, Non-Profits, Academic Institutions)
Writing In Plain Language
Write emails and documents that are read, understood, and acted on.
Teacher : Rebecca Schwartz Learner : Jamie Gillenwater
We are overwhelmed with information today—in both our personal and business lives. Sometimes it’s better to get straight to the point, in a way that doesn’t waste your reader’s time yet doesn’t compromise your professionalism either. This course teaches you how to use plain language to address your reader’s needs.
What do they really need to know?
What do you want them to do?
We’ll teach you how to think about your reader’s purpose and how to write for them so they get the right message.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding state-specific literacy
- Organizing your content
- Writing short sentences and paragraphs
- Choosing your words wisely
- Formatting appropriately
- Using bulleted lists the right way
Objectives – You will be able to:
- Define plain language and describe why you should want to write in plain language
- Describe your reader’s needs, taking into account state-specific literacy
- Organize your content in a way that makes it most likely to be read, understood, and acted on
- Write shorter sentences and paragraphs to serve your reader’s needs
- Choose your words wisely for both readability, consistency, and relevance to your audience
- Format your content appropriately to emphasize important points
- Use bulleted lists the right way
What You'll Learn
Section 01: Getting Started
01: Introduction (9:21)
02: Organizing your content (6:34)
03: Writing shorter sentences (8:23)
04: Using the readability tool (6:59)
05: Using active voice (6:07)
06: Choosing your words (4:38)
Section 02: Writing For Business
07: Writing plain for business (2:31)
08: Using your audience’s language (8:31)
09: Using emphasis (3:51)
10: Writing shorter paragraphs (4:28)
11: Using bulleted lists (6:30)
12: Practicing (7:25)
This course is included in the Bigger-Brains online subscription for individuals or organizations, or can be purchased in SCORM format for use in your own LMS (Learning Management System)
Also available from these partners:
Lessons : 12
Seat Time : 75 Minutes
Versions Available : Standard HD SCORM, reseller HTML
Produced by : Bigger Brains
Sample Course Video
Video will be uploaded soon!