Discounts for 3+ Users
Do you need more information about group pricing for our training courses?
ANY SIZE/ANY INDUSTRY (Businesses, Non-Profits, Academic Institutions)
SQL for Non-Technical Users
What You Need to Know to Get Started
Course Goal: By the end of this course, you will be able to write simple SQL queries to pull data from your organization’s database.
Objectives – You will be able to:
- Define basic SQL terminology and list the seven types of clauses in an SQL statement.
- Write an SQL query that retrieves data from one table.
- Clean your query results by sorting, filtering, and adding column aliases.
- Use the WHERE clause to filter results based on comparisons to numbers and strings.
- Write an SQL query that retrieves data from multiple tables using inner joins and WHERE clause joins.
- Use outer joins to retrieve results where one of the tables does not have matching records.
- Use date functions to format dates in your results (DATEPART, DATENAME) and to calculate the difference between two dates (DATEDIFF).
- Concatenate columns using string functions (+, TRIM) and summarize a column using aggregate functions (SUM, AVG)
- Collect data across multiple records and group the results using the GROUP BY clause and filter based on grouped data using the HAVING clause.
- Use subqueries to retrieve more complex results that cannot be achieved with a single SQL query.
Learn to Write Simple Queries to Get the Information You Need to Do Your Job
Do you often have to ask others to write SQL queries for you at work? Are you intimidated by the idea of writing your own SQL query? It’s time to take matters into your own hands.
In this course, you’ll learn how to write a basic SQL query from start to finish. We’ve designed the lessons specifically for those with little to no experience with writing queries, to teach you only what you need to know to get started writing queries today. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to retrieve data from multiple tables, sort and filter your query results, and use simple calculations. We’ll cover some commonly used functions so you can format dates and text as well as calculate sums and averages.
If you’re ready to stop waiting on someone else to pull data for you, this course is for you.
Note: This courses uses SQL Server Management Studio, but the language of an SQL query is not specific to any one tool.
What You'll Learn
Here’s what you’ll learn:
– Introduction (2:47)
– Fundamentals and Terminology (6:25)
– Creating a Simple Query (4:25)
– Cleaning Query Results (7:13)
– Using the WHERE Clause (6:48)
– Querying Multiple Tables (9:58)
– Using Outer Joins (6:36)
Functions & Subqueries
– Working with Functions Part I (5:44)
– Working with Functions Part II (5:53)
– Using GROUP BY and HAVING (8:51)
– Writing Subqueries (11:50)
This course is included in the Bigger-Brains online subscription for individuals or organizations, or can be purchased in SCORM format for use in your own LMS (Learning Management System)
Length: 75 minutes
Versions Available: Standard HD SCORM, reseller HTML
Teacher: Peggy Ward Learner: Jacki Flynn
Produced by: Bigger Brains
Sample Course Video
Video will be uploaded soon!